Full course description
Confronting the Digital Age
Deepening Connections with God and Each Other
Tim Hogan, Psy.D., Part-time Faculty, Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Smartphones and social media have caused a cultural hurricane that is changing our nervous system, relationships, and spirituality. This cultural hurricane has left our nervous system rushed, distracted, and anxious, hampering our ability to connect with God and one another.
Using brain science and Catholic spiritual practices, Dr. Tim Hogan will show us how to renew our spiritual vitality and relearn how to allow God’s love to skillfully flow through our busy everyday lives. Whether you are a parish minister or simply interested in deepening your faith, this self-paced online course will allow you to confront the digital age and deepen your relationships with God and others.
This course is not intended to be academically strenuous but to provide a shallow-entry point for those who have busy lives and need flexibility. This course is designed for personal enrichment and does not count towards any academic credit at Sacred Heart Major Seminary or for any certification in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
For questions about course content contact the instructor/teaching assistants using the Inbox on the red menu bar on the left side of your online course page.
For technical support see the Tech Support guide in the Welcome module of the course.
No required texts for this course
Schedule of Topics:
- Introductory Module:
- Module 1: Rescuing Our Spiritual Health from the Digital Age
- Module 2: Rescuing Our Nervous System, Recovering the Present Moment
- Module 3: Rescuing Our Nervous System from Anxiety, Recovering Gratitude
- Module 4: Rebuilding Skillful, Empathic, and Loving Connections
- Module 5: A Call to Re-Engage Spiritual Community
The following learning activities are available to students in each module. There are no specific requirements for participating in the course. However, those who complete all the videos and self-tests will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
- Video lecture
- Recommended readings and links to additional learning resources
- Self-test to see what you’ve learned
- Reflection and group discussion prompts
The time commitment is flexible for this course. There is one video lecture (~20 min) per module. Participants who are interested in completing all recommended readings and course tasks can expect to spend around 2-3 hours/module on the course. However, levels of participation and engagement are up to the discretion of the individual.
All Equip Courses Include These Features:
- A dedicated online learning support coordinator to offer prompt assistance
- 24/7 access to the digital learning environment
- Engagement as a community of connected learners who share a common faith
- Extended access to course content after the course end date
- Learning environment support provided by Canvas (our learning management platform)
- Technical assistance provided by Sacred Heart’s IT staff
- A Certificate of Completion is awarded to those who complete the course learning activities