Full course description
Growing in Sexual Integrity
Dr. Patricia Cooney Hathaway, Professor of Spirituality and Systematic Theology, Sacred Heart Major Seminary
What is sexual integrity? Is it even possible in our age? How is sexuality connected to our journey toward union with God?
This short online course explores such questions and presents the power, beauty, and challenges of living out our human sexuality as married or single Catholics. Dr. Patricia Cooney Hathaway, Professor of Spirituality and Systematic Theology at Sacred Heart Major Seminary, presents the path to fuller sexual integrity. The course features an array of credible witnesses from a variety of vocations and life circumstances—both men and women—who share personal stories and professional insights about growing closer to God through living a more spiritual and integral sexual life.
Come and join us as we journey down the path of reclaiming integrity, wholeness, and intimacy!
This course is not intended to be academically strenuous but to provide a shallow-entry point for those who have busy lives and need flexibility. This course is designed for personal enrichment and does not count towards any academic credit at Sacred Heart Major Seminary or for any certification in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
For questions about course content contact the instructor/teaching assistants using the Inbox on the red menu bar on the left side of your online course page.
For technical support see the Tech Support guide in the Welcome module of the course.
No required texts for this course
Dr. Cooney-Hathaway: Sex and the Spiritual Life: Reclaiming Integrity, Wholeness, and Intimacy. Ave Maria Press, 2020.
Schedule of Topics:
- Introductory Module: Course Introduction | Dr. Patricia Cooney Hathaway
- Module 1: Educating for Sexual Integrity Within the Family | Dr. Timothy O’Malley
- Module 2: The Journey to Sexual Integrity Within Marriage | Dr. Timothy and Karen Hogan
- Module 3: Sexual Integrity and the Challenge of Addiction | Jeff Jay
- Module 4: Sexuality, Spirituality, and the Single Life | Dr. Susan Muto
- Module 5: Hidden Treasures for Gay Catholics | Eve Tushnet
- Module 6: Sexual Integrity and the Diocesan Priesthood | Bishop John M. Quinn
The following learning activities are available to students in each module. There are no specific requirements. Those who complete all the videos and self-tests will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
Lectures featuring distinguished faculty members from Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Recommended readings and links to additional learning resources
Self-test to see what you’ve learned
Live discussion activities to actively participate with the learning community
Suggested topical Scriptures for Lectio Divina prayer
The time commitment is flexible for this course. Lectures are generally around 20-25 minutes long. Participants who are interested in completing all recommended readings and course tasks can expect to spend around 2-3 hours/module on the course. However, levels of participation and engagement are up to the discretion of the individual.
All Equip Courses Include These Features:
- A dedicated online learning support coordinator to offer prompt assistance
- 24/7 access to the digital learning environment
- Engagement as a community of connected learners who share a common faith
- Extended access to course content after the course end date
- Learning environment support provided by Canvas (our learning management platform)
- Technical assistance provided by Sacred Heart’s IT staff
- A Certificate of Completion is awarded to those who complete the course learning activities