Full course description
The Seven Deadly Sins and Their Remedies
Sunday, February 11, 2024 - Saturday, March 23, 2024
Dr. Kevin Clarke
Associate Professor, Dean of the Institute for Lay Ministry, Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Delve into the fascinating world of the seven deadly sins that have captured the imaginations of literary giants like Dante and artistic legends like Hieronymus Bosch. But did you know the wisdom to conquer these 'capital vices' has been with us for centuries? Long before modern times, the revered Fathers of the Church identified these sins—sometimes called the 'eight evil thoughts' in the East—and offered time-tested remedies.
Are you ready to learn how capital vices can prove to be important considerations for self-diagnosis in the examination of your conscience and how the virtues can provide healing for our spiritual ailments? This 6-module course is your gateway to understanding how these capital vices affect your life and, more importantly, how to harness the virtues for your personal growth.
Completing at your own pace, you can use this course as a Lenten study to grow deeper in your personal relationship with Jesus.
This course is not intended to be academically strenuous but to provide a shallow-entry point for those who have busy lives and need flexibility. This course is designed for personal enrichment and does not count towards any academic credit at Sacred Heart Major Seminary or for any certification in the Archdiocese of Detroit.
For questions about course content contact the instructor/teaching assistants using the Inbox on the red menu bar on the left side of your online course page.
For technical support see the Tech Support guide in the Welcome module of the course.
No required texts for this course
Schedule of Topics:
- Introductory Module: Available beginning January 15, 2024
- Module 1: A Brief History of the Deadly Sins (February 11 - February 17)
- Module 2: Repelling Evil Thoughts with the Virtues (February 18 - February 24)
- Module 3: The ‘Base’ Passions and the Path to Self-Mastery (February 25 - March 2)
- Module 4: The ‘Spirited’ Passions and the Path to Peace (March 3 - March 9)
- Module 5: Overcoming a Vice of the Whole Soul (March 10 - March 16)
- Module 6: Humility to Conquer the Rational Passions (March 17 - March 23)
The following learning activities are available to students each week. There are no specific requirements for participating in the course. However, those who complete all the videos and self-tests will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course.
- Weekly video lectures
- Weekly recommended readings and links to additional learning resources
- Weekly self-test to see what you’ve learned
- Open online discussion for participants to share with each other what they are learning and encourage each other
The time commitment is flexible for this course. There is one weekly video lecture (~20 min). Participants who are interested in completing all recommended readings and course tasks can expect to spend around 2-3 hours/week on the course. However, levels of participation and engagement are up to the discretion of the individual.
All Equip Courses Include These Features:
- A dedicated online learning support coordinator to offer prompt assistance
- 24/7 access to the digital learning environment
- Engagement as a community of connected learners who share a common faith
- Extended access to course content after the course end date
- Learning environment support provided by Canvas (our learning management platform)
- Technical assistance provided by Sacred Heart’s IT staff
- A Certificate of Completion is awarded to those who complete the course learning activities